Monday, February 26, 2007

Quote Archive

2008

February 21
"I talk half the time to find out my own thoughts, as a school-boy turns his pockets inside out to see what is in them. One brings to light all sorts of personal property he had forgotten in his inventory."


--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.


The Poets at the Breakfast Table


February 9
"We must move past indecision to action... If we do not act, we shall surely be dragged down the long, dark, and shameful corridors of time reserved for those who possess power without compassion, might without morality, and strength without sight."


--Martin Luther King, Jr.,

"CONSCIENCE AND THE VIETNAM WAR" (1968)


January 21
"Sometimes we talk about why we're importing so many people in our workforce. It might be for the last 35 years, we have aborted more than a million people who would have been in our workforce.."



Mike dangerous pig-headed Huckabee


January 2
"Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech."

Martin Farquhar Tupper



2007
December 2
"Let me tell you, if you suspect a ghost is sitting next to your pillow, the ghost will always be there; if you imagine a god, a god will look after you from above."

Mrs. Lu
House Fire by Yiyun Li


November 13
"For the record, I'm not a communist...There's nothing left to do but get dressed and get the Hey out of here."

Dawn, HC. Our new neighbor.

September 25
If you give in to intimidation, you'll go on being intimidated.

Aung San Suu Kyi


September 6
"By idolizing those whom we honor, we do a disservice both to them and to ourselves...We fail to recognize that we could go and do likewise."

Charles V. Willie


August 12
"...Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade....where I choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to think and talk and act for myself, and I will obey every law, or submit to the penalty."
Chief Joseph,
Nez Perce


August 3
"With the advent of industrial farming and the green revolution, organic farming was relegated to the status of "quaint" or "old-fashioned" - something practiced by hippies on communes, certainly not by serious farmers."
David Suzuki

July 24
"Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform."
Susan B Anthony

July 9
“The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers"
Ruth Benedict

June 23
"I said to myself, I have things in my head that are not like what anyone has taught me - shapes and ideas so near to me - so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn't occurred to me to put them down. I decided to start anew, to strip away what I had been taught."
Georgia O'Keeffe

June 10
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." -
Lao Tzu

May 24
“But with dogs, we do have “bad dog.” Bad dog exists. “Bad dog! Bad dog! Stole a biscuit, bad dog!” The dog is saying, “Who are you to judge me? You human beings who’ve had genocide, war against people of different creeds, colors, religions, and I stole a biscuit?! Is that a crime? People of the world!”

“Well, if you put it that way, I think you’ve got a point. Have another biscuit, sorry.” - Eddie Izzard

May 14
"Not only should you have known, congressmen, congresswomen and senators. You could have known.

If you had done your homework, you would have known that many of the real experts in the government... had grave doubts about this part or that part of the administration's case for war."
John Walcott, February, 2007

May 6
Carmen Mills- "It takes serious effort to stop trying to do anything. My current goal is to unitask: If I read, or I walk, that's all I do..."
Little House on a Small Planet, by Shay Salomon

April 24
"Well, I shan't go at any rate," said Alice, "besides, that's not a regular rule: you invented it just now." "It's the oldest rule int he book," said the King.
Alice in Wonderland; Lewis Carroll

April 11
"But why? Why do you need prophets to tell you how you ought to live? Why do you need anyone to tell you how you ought to live?"
Daniel Quinn, Ishmael

March 27
"How we live our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." Annie Dillard

March 1
"U.S. elections are run by marketing professionals, the same people who sell toothpaste and cars." Noam Chomskey, 2005

No comments: